Director of Policy
SIA is currently looking for a Director of Policy. This person will have 5 plus years of relevant experience, preferably with an advance degree. SIA is located in Washington, DC and this job will have a hybrid work schedule.
The salary range is $100,000-$110,000 commensurate with experience, plus up to 10% performance bonus; competitive benefits package (medical, dental, disability, life insurance, and retirement). This job is available Immediately.
The Director of Policy position supports the substantive and operational work of the Association in all key policy areas of interest.
The Director of Policy will work with Member Companies to develop consensus positions on a wide range of policy, legislative and regulatory issues; the Director will frequently represent the Association and advocate such consensus positions on behalf of the Association before the U.S. Government, and in various venues, including industry events and panels. More specifically, the Director of Policy must have a satellite background and expertise in one or more of the following critical policy areas: satellite regulations, spectrum, telecommunications, remote sensing, and space sustainability.
The Director of Policy must also have the ability to quickly understand established SIA positions and concerns and identify emerging policy issues befitting development of an SIA position. Because SIA is a consensus-based organization, the Director of Policy must be adept at managing multistakeholder processes to a successful conclusion, facilitating solutions through a range of engagement styles across the Association’s diverse membership. The Director of Policy will also be responsible for attending the Association’s events, in both support and participant roles, to enhance the industry’s profile in Washington.
The Director of Policy will report directly to the SIA President and will interact frequently with members of the SIA Board of Directors, the SIA Working Groups, and with members of the organization and serve as the lead staff person for SIA policy Working Groups.
- 5+ years’ experience working with U.S. federal policy and regulatory matters, including some level of working relationships with relevant U.S. Government entities, including the Departments of Commerce, Defense, State, and the Federal Communications Commission, NTIA, NASA, and the House and Senate Armed Services, Commerce, and Foreign Affairs/Relations. The most competitive candidates will have experience working in or with the satellite industry and the spectrum community.
- 3+ years satellite or telecommunications policy/regulatory experience, including corporate, government or trade association experience.
- Excellent communication skills, including an ability to speak publicly at industry events and prepare written policy statements.
- Strong analytical and research abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an efficient and organized manner.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and coordinate groups toward a consensus-based solution.
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than COB Friday July 7, 2023. No phone calls, please.
SIA is currently accepting resumes for internships for undergraduate and graduate students focused on:
- Business and/or non-profit management
Interest in the space or satellite industry is highly recommended for the policy and legal internships but not necessary for SIA’s business and/or non-profit management interns.
SIA internships are offered in the fall semester, spring semester and during the summer. SIA internships are unpaid, however an intern’s university may offer the option of receiving course credit or university-sponsored stipend for an SIA internship.
To be considered for an SIA internship, please submit your resume to email@example.com